Getting your gun safe into your home is challenging even when you know how to move a safe. Having to navigate a few steps before reaching your front door adds to the challenge. But when you need to go up a flight of stairs to the second floor of your home, the move becomes even more difficult and dangerous. Your best bet is to have a professional safe mover do the job for you. That can save you the risk of injuring yourself, damaging your safe, or damaging your home. However, we know a lot of you will still choose to move it on your own, so we've compiled some tips on how to move a gun safe up stairs.
Once you have all that prep work done, you're ready to move your safe. Follow these steps:
- Securely wrap the safe in the moving blankets.
- Tilt your safe to one side while a helper slides the dolly underneath it.
- Tightly wrap the straps around the safe and secure it to the dolly to prevent it from moving.
- Tilt the dolly back to evenly distribute the safe's weight onto its wheels.
- Carefully and slowly wheel the safe to your stairs.
- As you guide the safe up the stairs, your two helpers should lift the dolly up one step at a time if you are using a non-stair-climbing dolly.
- If you have a motorized stair-climbing dolly, your assistants can help steady the safe as you guide it up the stairs.
- Don't be a hero; if the safe slips, jump out of the way and let it fall.
Moving a safe, especially up a stairway, is dangerous, even if you know how to move a safe up stairs. We want to keep our customers safe, so our professional Safe team always recommends that you contact us to arrange for a professional move.